Monday, August 18, 2008

Sydney's Sentence . . .or is it Mine?


We have been struggling for some time with our middle child and her lack of desire to clean up after herself. Anytime she is instructed to do so, suddenly tiredness overcomes her or she needs her big brother to help. While we left her with a friend recently for the weekend, she even noticed this lack of desire.

SO that brings us to tonight. I have worked so hard to get her room so it is easy to pick up . . . dress up in a trunk or basket and dolls in a plastic bin that goes under the bed. So basically it is dress up or a doll. No other expectations than that, so how hard can it really be.

She had been a tornado this afternoon, so I told her we would work on her room together . . . her picking up and I would give moral support. She complained about how she couldn't do it, so I called her bluff. (Can you hear the music?) Either she would do it or she would lose all of her toys.

UGH! I knew she was strong willed from the womb and I am so glad I just refreshed my Dr. Dobson so that I would be prepared for this moment. She was almost giddy while she watched me pick up every single last toy . . . including the stuffed animals she has slept with since she can remember. No sadness, no disappoinment. In fact she asked when she would get some new ones?!?!??!? Can you give a little sympathy grunt for me.

So,we'll see how this goes. Tomorrow will be full of tantrums and tears and I have to be strong to make this work, so much for a little down time while I try and host the creation of our next memeber of our family!

I guess it has been a while since I have used this blog to be an ebenezer stone that will remind me when I put my daughter's greatest needs first rather than the ones that make my life immediately easier . . . one day maybe even not for twenty years or so there will be a reward!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

That stinks, stuff like that is so hard to follow through with. Hang in there. I have had to use the threat, but haven't had to carry it out, yet. It is with Aspen so it must be a middle child thing. Hope you are doing well. I have missed seeing you around.