Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Oh, How the Years Have Flown By!

Felicia, Me, Amanda, Miss Jeanie, Candice, and Melinda pose for a quick shot!


The first weekend in August was a lot of fun to me. A group called the "Choraleers" from my church that I went to in high school decided to have a get together with all the people who had been a part of this musical choir. I have to laugh that I would even have a choir that would let me be a part, as my musical expertise seem to flee me when I quite the cello in fifth grade.

Anyway, there were several from the time I was a part of the group there. It was a great time to catch up and just see how well we have handled kids, husbands, time. In some ways I felt like I was looking a people I had just seen, however it really had been like 5 years since our high school reunion and 15 since we actually attended high school. I love how I still feel like I look oh so much younger than I really am. Is that a sign that I have approached adulthood?

We hung out at a park on Friday night during an extreme heat advisory period for the Dallas area in the hottest part of the day. We also got to see pictures from several of the years of the group, and just chit chat. The music minister who led the group for most of the exsistance of this group was one of our honorees and he led us in some great worship. One of the past youth leaders made a powerful point when he mentioned a passage in Ecclesiastes. It reminds us to not dwell on what we have already exprienced as the "good times", but to look at how it has made us who we are today.

I think most of us have some regrets about how things happen in earlier times in our lives, however what I am learning is by looking at how I didn't do things right I miss out on the things that were good. I am so thankful for the godly heritage that I grew up in and that paved the way for the relationship that I have now with the Lord. It goes so beyond anything that I expereince at a church service or through some reglious appearing activity. It is truly my heart's cry to know who God is more and to understand that incomprehesible love he has for me. The rest is just gravy.

Who knew that attending a choir practice on Sunday nights in Grand Prairie, Texas would lead me all the way across the world to Belarus and Estonia, or even better yet allow me to be a part of such a special group of children (now teenagers and preteens)that cone to Abilene every summer from Belarus. Who knew I would have a need to speak fluent Russian in West Texas. The answer is God knew!

Enough of my ramblings. I loved going to this reunion and never could have imagined the way I would be blessed by simply attending this event. Thank you could not even cover the way I feel for those great individuals who put it together!

0 comments: