Tuesday, September 9, 2008

IHOP Come Rain or Flood


I just had to share a moment in our family fun with you. My husband works late on Monday nights. I had realized earlier that day that after returning from the grocery store on Sunday, I had thought that I checked all the bags to make sure all the cold stuff was away. I think sometime in the night I had flashbacks that I hadn't put away the meat. Much to my disappointmet I had left out the main staples of our meals for the rest of the week.

So instead of returning to the store to make a simple purchase, I decided that I would make a trip to IHOP with my three kids for a "special meal". Really I wanted those pancakes and a omlett . . . but whatever I can do to show my kids I love them :)!

So I knew the weather was not looking good, but we had to eat. So with the swirling green and tuquoise sky to our north, I thought we could make the resturant before the bottom hit out and what better place to be in a storm than your local IHOP eatery. We didn't make it a mile before it got so bad I wasn't sure if I could see any cars in front of me. I pressed on and after going through mulitple rivers on roads, alternative routes to get to the resturant. We made it.

By the way I had try to gently let my children know we may not go, but the disappointment in both Jake and Syd's voices led me to be creative. We sat in the parking lot for it to let up. I had my camera with me and so I snapped a shot of what happens after fifteen minutes of a downpour in Abilene. There is a road and a deep culvert next to each other and in the picture they both look like a river. We watched barricades float down the road, worked on our AWANA memorization and had a grand old time in the parking lot for about 20 minutes. Then we made a run and had the whole resturant to ourselves. Our waitress was great and it only took Jacob like five miuntes to inhale the chocolate laded pancake that is lovingly called a funny face.

So I spent way to much on a great dinner and had a somewhat fun evening with children, whom had we been stuck at home the entire time might not have been so enjoyable. This may not win me the mom of the year award considering how many did get stuck in the flood waters last night, but I must plead the pregnancy craving card all the way to my grave on this poor choice of dinner arragements!

0 comments: